D.O., M.P.H., F.A.C.O.G.
While we like to think doctors have an answer for everything, there’s one question that will always leave Dr. Ashby stumped…what would she have done if she didn’t go into medicine? Luckily for VPFW, she never even considered another path. As one of her favorite quotes says, “To love what you do and feel that it matters–how could anything be more fun?” We’re so glad that she’s fulfilling her lifelong dream here with us!
In addition to her passion for medicine, Dr. Ashby also loves traveling and experiencing new foods and cultures, spending time at the dog park with her puppy, reading with her cats nearby, and exercising. She has completed four half marathons and even taught group fitness classes at one point.
Other highlights on her resume and journey to practice medicine include working as a volunteer EMT at JMU and as an OB tech before medical school and traveling to Central America on 3 different medical mission trips. Now, she loves working with women of all ages and strives to improve their lives with every visit.
“Dr. Ashby is great! It’s been the best experience! I felt like she really listened to me, and I was comfortable sharing my concerns with her. I’ve referred several friends to her and as a nurse myself, I’ve referred patients to her as well. She is a fantastic DO with whom I fully trust my healthcare!” – Health Grades Review, 2017
Special Professional Interests
- Vaginal birth after cesarean
- Low-intervention birth
- Contraceptive counseling
- Minimally-invasive surgery
- St. Mary’s Hospital
- Henrico Doctor’s Hospital
- James Madison University
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency
- Grandview Medical Center
- American Osteopathic Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Membership & Societies
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- American College of Osteopathic Obstetricians and Gynecologists
Honors & Distinctions
- Publication, “Just Say No: Reporting Drug Use upon Admission to the Maternity Unit in a Community Hospital”, Medical Education Foundation of the American College of Osteopathic Obstetricians and Gynecologists (MEFACOG) Journal, 2016.
- Publication, “The Impact of Paternity and Marital Status on Low Birth Weight and Preterm Births”, Marriage and Family Review, 2010
- Chief OB/GYN Resident at Grandview Medical Center