Maria Meussling Schleicher
Areas of Interest and Expertise
Full spectrum of OB/GYN care from adolescence to menopause, Contraception counseling, Abnormal bleeding, Permanent contraception, da Vinci robotic surgery
Locations and Hospitals
Dr. Schleicher sees patients at VPFW’s Henrico Doctors’ and West Creek offices. She delivers babies at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital and St. Mary’s Hospital.
Meet Dr. Schleicher
We are excited to welcome Dr. Maria Meussling Schleicher back to VPFW in 2022! Some patients may remember Dr. Schleicher as Dr. Meussling from when she was part of the practice from 2008 – 2013, before she and her family moved to Cleveland. They are back in Richmond, and she is thrilled to return to VPFW where it feels like she is coming back to “her people.” Her partners at VPFW have always been supportive and her patients have always held such a special place in her heart. She’s excited to see everyone again!
The oldest child of a career US Navy family, Dr. Schleicher has three younger sisters, one of whom was a Marine and one of whom is currently in the Navy and recently moved back to Virginia from Guam. Their family moved a fair amount growing up, but her parents were able to keep them mainly in the Virginia Beach area as they got older.
Dr. Schleicher was the first person in her immediate and extended family to attend college. She lived at home during this time and worked 30 hours a week at a telecommunications company in order to afford the remainder of her tuition that was not covered by loans. Getting accepted into the University of Virginia Medical School was by far one of her greatest accomplishments, and she remembers sobbing with joy when she opened her acceptance letter.
In medical school, Dr. Schleicher was significantly involved in student government and was elected President of the entire student body as a 4th year. She helped to create the new curriculum which eliminated grades and minimized lectures in exchange for increased small groups, etc. It was progressive and cutting edge at the time (2000-2004)!
Dr. Schleicher received the best training during her OB/GYN residency at MCV/VCU Health System, and she is still reminded how grateful she is for her attending physicians there. She was selected to be the Administrative Chief Resident and fell in love with being a generalist.
While at VCU, Dr. Schleicher met her husband, Will Schleicher, and they recently celebrated their 12-year wedding anniversary. He is a plastic surgeon and is the most kind and compassionate person she knows. They moved to Cleveland, Ohio, for his fellowship, and during that time she had a very successful career as an academic OB hospitalist. They started a family in Cleveland and have two incredible children, Henry who is 7 and Annemarie who is 5. They also have a 1-year-old Golden Retriever, Zeus.
Dr. Schleicher adored teaching the next generation of OB/GYN residents at the Cleveland Clinic, but she and her husband missed their families and being home in Virginia. She’s grateful they moved back and that she gets to practice at VPFW again.
When not working, Dr. Schleicher is happily busy with activities with their kids, house, and yard projects, as well as visiting with loved ones. She was actually born in Buffalo, NY and still has lots of extended family there. As a consequence, she is a die-hard, heart-broken, Buffalo Bills fan. Her heart has also adopted all of the Cleveland sports teams, for better and worse.
Special Professional Interests
- Full spectrum of OB/GYN care from adolescence to menopause
- Contraception counseling
- Abnormal bleeding
- Permanent contraception
- da Vinci robotic surgery
- Henrico Doctors’ Hospital
- St. Mary’s
- Old Dominion University
- University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia (2004)
Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency
- Medical College of Virginia
Richmond, Virginia (2008)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- DEA with Buprenorphine Waiver
- Intuitive Surgical da Vinci Surgeon Certification
Membership & Societies
- Fellow, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Society of OBGYN Hospitalists, Fellowship Subcommittee
- Ware-Dunn Society
- Medical Society of Virginia
- Richmond Academy of Medicine
Honors and distinctions
- CREOG National Faculty Award (2020)
- Global Leadership and Learning Institute Transforming Enterprise Leadership Program (2019)
- Nightingale Physician Collaboration Award Nominee (2019)
- Best Overall Resident Nominee by VCUHS School of Medicine Class of 2007 (2007)
- VCUHS OBGYN Excellence in Medical Student Education Award (2006)
- UVA School of Medicine Leadership Award (2004)
- UVA Medical Alumni Association Outstanding Student Award (2004)
- UVA Raven Society Nominee (2001)
Research and Publications
- SolVE (Solutions for Value Enhancement) Quality Improvement Project: Addressing postpartum readmissions for hypertensive disorders of pregnancy. Ongoing.
- Anna Chichura, Catherine Keller, Maria Schleicher. Patwardhan maneuver at the time of cesarean delivery of a deeply impacted fetal head. Presented at 2021 ACOG Annual Meeting; Virtual. 04/30/2021.
- Bennett C, Newton K, Wilkins C, Schleicher M. Bladder Rupture Following Both Successful and Failed Trial of Labor After Cesarean. Obstet Gynecol 2020; 135:124S-5.
- Munoz JL, Schleicher M, and Natalie Bowersox. The integration of fetal middle cerebral arterial (MCA) ultrasonography in acute fetal-maternal hemorrhage. Case Rep Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Oct 13;2019:4363054
- Virginia (issued 2008)
- Ohio (issued 2013)