Boyd Clary, III
M.D., F.A.C.O.G., F.P.M.R.S.
Boyd Clary III, MD joined VPFW in October, 2019, and has enjoyed being able to continue practicing in his hometown of Richmond, Virginia. After attending Hampden-Sydney College, Dr. Clary attended the Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia. Then completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Penn State’s Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. During his residency training, Dr. Clary focused on surgical gynecology, urogynecology, and minimally invasive surgery.
In 2003, Dr. Clary returned home to Richmond to enter private practice. He continues to focus his practice on surgical gynecology, specifically urogynecology and minimally invasive surgery.
Dr. Clary has served as the Chief of Staff and continues in his role as as Director of Gynecological Surgery. In 2018-2019, Dr. Clary led HCA through their certification as the newest Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecological Surgery. In addition, Dr. Clary is a certified Master Surgeon with the American Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons/Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons.
As such, the relationship between patients and Dr. Clary is the most important aspect of his practice. Dr. Clary believes that every patient is an individual and that each treatment should be individualized to the patient. He believes in educating patients so together, they can help him make the right decisions for them. He often says, “if we don’t talk about it, there is no way that I can treat it correctly.” Dr. Clary has been consistently a “Top Doc” by Richmond Magazine since his return to Richmond.
Dr. Clary and his wife love to travel, play tennis and spend time with their three boys. Being a VMI Keydet father, Dr. Clary prides himself in delivering many future cadets! Their middle son attends William and Mary University studying business and finance, while their youngest graduates this spring from St. Christopher’s.
“Dr. Clary is an exceptional physician. He is patient and takes the time to answer any and all questions thoroughly. He is a highly trained and skilled surgeon. I am grateful to be in his care. It is a plus that he has great people skills and a terrific bedside manner. I trust him completely.” -Patient Survey Response, February 2020
“I love Dr. Clary. I literally switched practices to follow him. Caring and consistent medical care can be hard to find, especially for women of color, so to find a doctor who advocates for me, keeps me informed of my health, AND genuinely cares to know what’s going on with me personally, is priceless. Thank you, Dr. Clary! – Patient Survey Response, February 2020
- Certified American Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons/Society of Laprascopic Surgeons – Master Surgeon
- Director, Gynecologic Surgery, Henrico Doctors Hospital
- Director, Center of Excellence Minimally Invasive Gynecological Surgery
Special Professional Interests
- High-risk deliveries
- Pelvic floor reconstruction (specifically in non-mesh approaches)
- Da Vinci robotic surgery
- Single-incision laparoscopic or “scarless” surgery
- Advanced and complex minimally-invasive surgery
- Henrico Doctors Forest
- St. Mary’s Hospital
- Johnston Willis Hospital
- Hampden-Sydney College, Hampden-Sydney, Virginia
- Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine Richmond (1999)
Virginia Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency
- Pennsylvania State’s Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, Pennsylvania (completed 2003)
Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency & Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery Sub-Specialty
- Pennsylvania State’s Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, Pennsylvania
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
Membership & Societies
- Fellow, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- American Medical Association
- American Urogynecologic Society
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopic Surgeons
- Society of Laproscopic Surgeons
- Richmond Academy of Medicine
- Virginia Medical Society
Honors & Distinctions
- Top Doc: Richmond Magazine Urogynecology (2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2006, 2003, 2002)
- Top Doc: Richmond Magazine Gynecology/Obstetrics (General) (2020)
- Nursing Award: Best Chief Resident (2002-2003)
- Teaching Award: Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Penn State’s Milton S. Hershey Medical Center (2001 – 2003)
- Arnold F. Gold Award for Teaching and Humanism in Medicine (2000 – 2001)
- Virginia (issued 2002)