Mammogram & Breast Imaging
We are accredited by The American College of Radiology and are a Certified Mammography Facility by the FDA.
Virginia Physicians for Women is pleased to announce that we offer screening mammograms at our West Creek, Midlothian Turnpike, and Prince George locations. VPFW also uses state-of-the-art full-field digital low dose mammography equipment to assist in the early detection and diagnosis of breast diseases. Ask about our warm white robe package exclusively at our West Creek location.
Now offering the latest 3D (Tomography) mammograms!
Why should I have a 3D Mammogram?
- It is the biggest advance in mammography in 30 years
- 41% increase in detecting Invasive Breast Cancer (the deadly ones)
- Up to a 40% reduction in the need for recalls (additional pictures taken)
- Finds cancer 15 months sooner than a regular 2D Mammogram
What should I expect?
- It is the same experience as previous mammograms.
- The procedure itself is under 4 seconds.
- No additional compression is required
Does Insurance cover it?
- You will want to check with your insurance company, but most insurance policies are covering 3D mammograms as a preventive service
- If your insurance does not cover 3D, we do provide this incredible technology for the small additional fee of $35.00.
- You still have the ability to do a traditional 2D exam if you are not able/willing to pay for the small upcharge. Most insurance companies cover the 2D mammograms.
At what age should I start getting Mammograms?
- Our physicians recommend that you should begin a baseline screening at age 40 and be done every year. Please discuss with your doctor if you have a family history of breast cancer.
If you have concerns or further questions, please discuss with your physician directly.
- DO NOT use: Deodorant – Body Powder – Lotion – Perfume
- Please wear a 2-piece outfit so you can undress from the waist up only – gowns will be supplied
Previous Mammography Images
After the mammogram, a qualified radiologist reviews the images and makes a report on the findings. It is very important that the radiologist have your previous mammograms for comparison to make a thorough reading.
- If your previous Mammograms were performed at any HCA OF RICHMOND Facility:
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- Retreat Doctors Hospital
- Henrico Doctors Hospital
- Chippenham Hospital
- Independence Park
- Appomattox Imaging
- Chesterfield Imaging
The radiologist will have electronic access to those images and you do not need to obtain them yourself.
If you had a previous mammogram at John Randolph you will need to bring your films when you come to VPFW for a mammogram.
- If your previous Mammograms were performed at an “outside” of HCA OF RICHMOND facility:
- You will need to obtain the films/CDs* of those images yourself.
- Most facilities require patient to complete a Medical Release Form. For your convenience, we have a Medical Release form. Please download our Mammography Patient Instruction Sheet for additional information.
- Please be aware that most facilities require advanced notice to pull mammography films for you to pick up. Please contact them as soon as possible!
*Please note that patients who are scheduled at the Prince George, Midlothian Turnpike and West Creek locations are asked to request CD’s as a preference over films.